Thursday, December 1, 2011

Recipe: Eggnog (sort of)...


photo cred and recipe

There is something about eggnog that makes my heart all warm and happy.
Seeing it in a frosty cup with a splidge of nutmeg sprinkled on top...
*sigh*
Takes me immediately back to Grandma June's kitchen
 -full of piping hot ginger molasses cookies and Christmas carols in the background.
*sigh*
I love me some Christmas magic.
For a while now, I've been thinking I'll try my hand at a little homemade eggnog.
And this past weekend, after perusing pinterest for the perfect recipe...
I convinced the Hubs to help me whip up a batch of fresh nog.

The pictures were enticing and the recipe seemed simple enough.

Sadly, the "simple" recipe turned out to be a little more difficult than the Hub's and my's cooking capability.

I followed the directions to a "T"... or at least a "Q" or "R"...
I couldn't help it though... I was distracted by Hubs cute wiggly bum as he was trying to mix all the ingredients together... 
apparently it helps if your entire body is moving while you mix.
And somehow, in the midst of all of the yuletide magic I overcooked my nog.

Sadly, over cooked nog ends up having a very similar consistency to cottage cheese.
Oooh!
Scrumptious. 
No, not really.

my nog.

After a "hail Mary" consisting of overnight refrigeration and lots of straining,
I ended up with one single cup of nog to be shared between the Hubs and I.

Fortunately, Si-Fri (sister-friend) was over to taste test as well
and is now convinced we should do it again and can make it better! Hip hip hooray!
Si-fri... sampling

I'm so lucky to have a husband who prefers his nog with lumps and a Si-Fri who has a degree in yummy goodness! Life is good. Lumpy nog or not!

Wishing you a few less lumps,
Hansie.





P.S. Don't forget to sign up for our extra fun cookie exchange! E-mail us at ettagraceshop@gmail.com to register!


No comments: