Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Oh my soul!"


A long time ago (read: 8 years... Yowza!), I lived in Switzerland. It was one of the most magical and blessed times of my life. 
Living abroad does a lot for a person, at least it did for me. 
While I was there my view of the world broadened, I grew a deep love for all things French and Swiss. I gathered friends from the farthest reaches of the globe, Spain, South Africa, Asia, Norway... Canada (ha!). 
Most importantly, my view of God, who He is, how incredibly beautiful and creative His creation is, everything about what I thought of Him just exploded (in the best way possible)!
 It was such a stretching and wonderful time for me.


Fast forward to present day life in beautiful Chicago. It's so good and so busy. 
This week in particular has been kind of ridiculous. 
I've literally been spending all of my days at work reading these.


And all of my time outside of work writing papers... Srsly. 
It's been a whirlwind and to say I haven't felt overwhelmed would be the furthest thing from reality. 
The weight of my "To Do" list has felt (only slightly) defeating.

This morning actually, I woke up early so that I could get to my office early to finish editing the 42 page paper I've been working on for a class... 
As I sat at my computer skimming over every last obnoxious footnote I mumbled to myself in exhaustion, "Oh my soul!"

Immediately I was taken back to beautiful Switzerland, sitting across from my beautiful South African friend Leizl.
 Leizl always says, "Oh my soul" when overwhelmed, surprised, or in the middle of a fit of giggles. 

And for some reason, that little memory was just what I needed to "buck up". 

It's crazy this time of year for all of us... But- 

Oh. My. Soul. 

It is so so very wonderful as well!


Hoping your day is filled with "Oh my souls" surrounded by fits of giggles-
 
Hans

1 comment:

Shon said...

Hey! It has been a while since I stopped by!! Merry Christmas and congrats on all the wonderful things going on in your life!

So glad that you dug deep and remembered a dear friend and our amazing GOD!!

Happy 2013